Friday, May 4, 2012

Outpost Week 34 - Memory Lane




In the 34 weeks we have been here this has been by far the most uneventful and for me the most unproductive. Last Tuesday when I foolishly picked something up the wrong way I figured a day or two and I'd be back on my daily 4 mile walk, that's 36 times around the boardwalk....I was wrong. While my tolerance for standing, although hunched over and walking, although slowly, was a bit longer and further each day the majority of my week was spent on the couch.
Thinking back to what I did accomplish (always feel I have to do something each day) were the tasks that always get put aside and now is the perfect opportunity to tackle them and it's something I can do from the comfort of the couch. What would that be....a clean up of all the stuff on my computer. A list of 'favourites' that no longer interest me, blogs that have fallen by the wayside and recipe sites that I realize only ever leave me feeling more confused that inspired, disappear. Sorting through email contacts had me writing a few letters to people I have lost touch with, while erasering others. Games I no longer play are eliminated right off the hard drive along with programs I will never use.
Movies and TV shows stored on external hard drives are either given a “thumbs up” or get expunged. The most time consuming and hardest job was to go through the hundreds of pictures I seem to have accumulated since Mike and I have become caretakers . A bag containing half a dozen memory sticks with photos going back to our previous position in Rivers Inlet, along with all this years pictures on my computer had me going down memory lane for several hours for several days. After viewing hundreds of images showing trees, mountains, water, deers, cats, squirrels, birds, rain, snow and yes even the odd days of sun it got easier to push that delete key. The first round was easy – delete delete delete, the second round is a little tougher and the third time has me looking at each picture more than just a few seconds trying to decide if it is worthy of taking up space. My organization fever has left me with one memory stick and 100GB of free space. For a week of doing nothing I feel quite good of all that I did accomplish.

Since I didn't get a single photo all week, I'll have to leave you with some of my favourites that I came across this week.










Till next week,
Heather & Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment