Saturday, April 16, 2011

" I'd Like a Menu, Please"

I've been thinking about food a lot lately. With only 45 days 8 hours 3 min left before we return to the real world, I've started to anticipate what my first meal will be. I enjoy cooking and baking and right from the start of our relationship I claimed the kitchen as my domain.Who knew that we'd be living for 9 months with no restaurants or take-out available. In hindsight I should have rethought that one.

Mike can cook, I know this for a fact. Our first date he made a fondue, rather impressive I thought. Than again just 3 years ago he had to survive on his own while I was working at a fishing resort. When I returned home after 42 days he was still kicking but was definitely a few pounds lighter.

Back to the thread of the story......so I'm giving some thought to what will I eat once we are back in civilization. The possibilities are endless, wrong. Home is where the boat is and for the last 5 years that has been Port Hardy, population 3800. Yeah kinda small so our choices are..... A & W, Subway, a couple of mom and pop establishments, a sports bar and a couple of hotel restaurants.

The problem is I am craving a good feed of Chinese. Nothing fancy, some sweet and sour chicken balls, yes, the ones that come in the glossy gelatinous red dye #5 sauce (yum),
some steamed white rice for soppy up extra sauce (yum yum), beef and broccoli curry (veggies are good for you) and Mike's favourite, Moo Moo Gai Pan (what exactly is moo moo gai pan?) Now to make this a perfect Chinese meal it would be at one of those all you can eat '584 items' to choose from football field length buffets complete with a fortune cookie delivered with your check.

On our travels I have eaten mystery meat from street vendors so “buffets” don't scare me, as so many people are these days

Too be honest, it's not so much about the food that I'm looking forward too, it'll be the thrill of sitting in a restaurant and having someone ask me, “What can I get for you?”



  


1 comment:

  1. Rose wants Chines also and I sure understand that. I have never seen Moo Goo Gai Pan in BC altho I am sure it is here, just not where I have been. Lots of places in Alberta though. Did you ever see the one where Bob ordered Moo Goo over the phone when he was a tad soused? Pretty funny.

    take care
    keith

    ReplyDelete