Sunday, April 10, 2011

A Women's Work Is Never Done

Sorta on a roll about the Bahamas. I am REALLY longing to be somewhere hot and sunny so reliving our days in the Bahamas it just going to have to suffice.

This is another laundry story. What does it say about my life that I am telling you tales of laundry and toilets? Yes I have toilet stories. All I can say is it's because I have travelled a bit and not just the homogenized variety holiday.

Today was rare, I had the boat to myself. Mike had gone out snorkeling/spearing with another boat. I didn't feel like it, actually I just wanted to be alone. You know put on a favourite CD, crank it up and dance around, do whatever. My whatever was laundry. It needed to be done so with a good dance mix on, I got on with it. Did I mention that I was doing this in a bucket? When you can't get to a laundromat this is what you do ..... first pour yourself a gin and tonic ( it's after 12) than bring bucket and clothes up on deck to wash. It's a big bucket ( I think it was a birthday present) and I can get right into it to stomp on the clothes. It's the same as the agitater in a real washing machine, right? The sun is shining ( it always shines in the Bahamas) and it's hot. Stomp, stomp, stomp. Might as well wash my bathing suit, which at the present time I am wearing. Off it comes. Stomp, stomp, stomp. Rinse everything in fresh water and hang them to dry on the life lines. It was at this point, as I was leaning over pinning clothes that I hear, “ Afternoon.” Where the f*#k did he come from? Really what can I do? Straightening up from pinning my clothes, stark naked remember, I proceed to carry on a conversation with this total stranger, sitting in his dingy staring up at me. Do I recall what we talked about, hell no, but there was no way I was turning tail and going downstairs to put something on. We chatted for a bit and than he went on his way. I, still not finished with my domestic chores continued on.

Must have been all of 30 seconds when the sound of outboards was heard. Scanning the horizon there were 3 dinghies skimming the water, engines cranked full open and headed my way. Are you kidding? This guy had no sooner left when he must have gotten on the radio to relate his “adventure.” For all of a split second I considered standing there exactly as I was but chickened out and went below to put on a bathing suit. They all cruised by but no one stopped to chat. I wonder why?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment