Thursday, April 21, 2011

Never a Dull Moment....Week 32

I'm thinking I may actually have to  get dressed these days. I was still enjoying my morning coffees when I said to Mike, “Do you hear that?” Seconds later a helicopter was right out front and heading for the upper heli pad. Do I run and get dressed or get the camera and head outside? The camera won, although I did take a quick look to see how scary the bed head hair looked. Presentable enough and Mike thinking the same asked for my opinion, not bad I replied. We are after all caretakers and I'm sure they would find nothing out of the ordinary about our somewhat shaggy appearance.







Don and Andrew have flown up from Sandspit to take a look at the heli pad.
Over the past winter it has started to heel to one side. Quick assessment was the possibility of having to bring in a new one. This will be interesting to see the outcome.


Their stay was short. Didn't want to hang around as it was snowing on the other side of the island where they flew in from.

              April showers in B.C with a touch of snow for good measure.


               April 15th and a fresh snowfall on the hills. Enough already!!!!!



The snow from yesterday didn't last long, thank goodness. Today we witnessed a herring spawn. That's what making the water the milky colour.

     
      The herring come to spawn and the seals come in for the herring. The food chain.


                           
                                         Am I too late? Did you leave any for me?

      
            "I only ate a couple of herring, the guys over there ate a lot more than me."
                      
                             It didn't take long for the eagles to come to the table.



At first glance you have to wonder what this is. It's an odd angle but it's an eagle with a fish in it's claws.

                      
                           Spring also brings some of the lowest tides of the year.



I saw my first black bear this week. He was fairly large and had the most beautiful glossy black coat, the word that came to mind was "healthy." It was around 2 in the afternoon and I was walking down the path to the 20 kw where Mike had started the oil change. The scene that I came upon was Mike facing the genny and this big bear coming around the corner of the shed. My first thought was "wish I had my camera" and not of shouting out to Mike.....I'm bad? No harm done, as soon as Mr.Bear saw me he turned tail and rambled up the hill. We're keeping a look-out now for his return and I certainly hope I can catch it to show you.


                
                            The sunsets are becoming lovely as the summer draws near.

Till next week from the "Outpost"
Heather & Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment