Tuesday, February 22, 2011

A walk about.......Week 9

Food occupies my mind a lot. You have likely gathered this about me but there are 2 sides to the coin.
Come November to mid December Mike and I shift gears in our eating habits.
Time to put a halt to the cookies & cakes, creamed sauces, creamy puddings,sour cream, whipped cream and ice cream. No more french fries, french toast, french bread or french onion soup. Aged cheese, grilled cheese, mac& cheese,cheese omelets and cheesecake are all put on the back burner.
I could confess to wanting to lead a more healthy life-style but let's just say it,we're going on a diet. Every year at this time this is what we do. Why? We like to indulge during the Christmas season (I have a great fondness for eggnog) so losing a few pounds before- hand is a good idea.

Over the years I have learned if you want to get out of those “comfy pants” and back into the “looking good” jeans you have to exercise. The OP known as a wilderness fishing frontier could now have a motto of “ Come lose yourself in the wilderness of Haida Gwaii”

I think walking is one of the best things you can do and the boardwalk is going to offer a fabulous workout. According to my pedometer 3 times around = 1 mile
( 17 mintues) so 12 times around will be my goal. Let's go for a walk.

Starting at the back deck it's 105 steps to where we turn .



Down to the end of the first float than turn around and head along the front boardwalk. Nicest part of walk. You can hear the roar of the ocean. 243 steps.






Up the stairs 29 in all, across the deck, walk all four sides of the heli pad, go down the stairs to underneath the deck along front boardwalk than back to where you started.Steps 700 more or less. Ingram (cat) will only do 1 circuit with me before she finds something else more interesting.






Knowing that we might be having a rainy day or two, I have planned for that. Wii.
You can do more than just play tennis and golf, racing cars or shooting birds out of the sky. The new fitness program can be very challenging. Twenty minutes  of squats, lunges, boxing and running gives you a good workout. I can only take so much of the “coach” who keeps up a running commentary on how you are doing so I often turn her down, don't' worry on the screen they let you know if you are moving to slow or aren't squatting low enough!



What is a gym without some huge piece of exercise equipment. We bought this elliptical machine (on-line) several years ago when at another lodge. By truck, taxi than 2 boats it was delivered. To get it here only involved us getting it to the barge. I should start putting travel stickers on it like a steamer trunk!

I knew when I saw these, and had to buy them there was a reason. Lovely as the boardwalk is, it is Slippery! Who knew that the trend on these fashionable rubber boots( bet you never put those 3 words together) would do the trick.

Gotta run!
Till next week,
Heather & Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment