Thursday, February 24, 2011

We're having company....Again!.... Week 13

It's been a week of planning, cleaning, doing those jobs that have been put aside and just trying to get all my ducks in a row.

When a date was confirmed, as much as a date for a plane arriving in the month of December can be, I shifted gears from my general routine of not having a routine to making a list of all the things that had to be accomplished before Ken, Roger and Robert arrived.

First item on the list, well in my head, was get up earlier. This meant actually finding my alarm clock and than actually getting up when it rudely disturbed my beauty rest. Did you know that it's still dark outside at 8 am?

My days are now filled with purpose, although I can get along just fine without one. Instead of sitting down in front of the computer with my morning coffee(s)
I surround myself with cookbooks. The challenge is to find a few new recipes that don't involve me running out to the store (wish) or being able to substitute with items I already have. All too often I forget my mission and get absorbed in looking at all the pretty pictures. I look at them differently these days as I am starting to photograph food. Mike just shakes his head as I walk around the entire lodge with a sheet of cookies, hot out of the oven, looking for just the right light.
                                                                                  

I envy the cook who can walk into the kitchen without the slightest idea of what they are going to make and half an hour later a 3 course gourmet meal is on the table. That is not me. I plan. I plan for everything that is going to be eaten for the entire time we have company. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, desserts and maybe even an appie or two.
Breakfast is easy. Get it yourself. Sorry guys. I'm not a breakfast type of cook, never got the hang of making those perfect eggs over easy. There will be fresh hot muffins and scones just out of the oven along with hearty homemade bread to toast, maybe a quiche. I wonder if these are the type of men who eat quiche?
Rest of the menu, piece of cake. Speaking of cake should it be a 4 layer double chocolate or banana with vanilla cream filling and butter frosting?

Jobs that have been put off due to my previously busy schedule make it to the list. Wash windows, there are a lot of windows, wash floors, sweep boardwalk, sweep basement, sweep away all the cobwebs outside ( I keep the one inside under control) burn a bunch of boxes that I had emptied a while ago and make up 3 rooms. Take down to the crew shack those 58 bales of insulation that I dragged out of the attic earlier in the week. Don't mind that job, gets me outside and allows me to stretch my legs.


Vacuum upstairs hallway where said 58 bales of insulation left a trail of yellow prickly fibre. Vacuum living room, dining room, bedrooms.
Stock the fridge with juices, pop and water.
Stock the cookie jar.

Whew! All is ready. Lets hope the plane makes it in on Wednesday.

Here they are and early!
The morning was grey with enough of a drizzle to make the boardwalk slippery but otherwise a fine day for flying, and so we assumed we would see them before noon. It's only 8:30 so naturally I pour myself a second cup of coffee and sit down to check emails. “On our way”. What! Their already in the air, so much for that second cup. Nothing urgent to get done except maybe get dressed and do something with the “bed head” hair. No sooner had I poured that second cup of coffee...again, that we heard the plane and seconds later there she was taxiing up to the dock.
Handshakes and hugs of welcome. The 400lb crate that left back in October, a couple of bags and 3 men was all the plane could hold so grocery order will be on the next flight. Didn't take long to unload and for the pilot to untie the lines. A change in plans though had taken place in this short interval, Mike was flying out. He took a nasty fall earlier in the week and seeing a doctor wasn't a bad idea and since there was a plane flying in again tomorrow to pick up Ken and deliver the food order the timing was perfect. Quick hug, kiss and off he goes.
A fresh pot of coffee awaits and I finally get my second cup.

Till next week,
Heather & Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment