Thursday, February 24, 2011

We're in a forest, but where are the trees?......Week 15

The day has finally arrived. It's a crisp clear day, a perfect day for finding that perfect tree. The only thing missing was a coat of snow blanketing the forest floor, I'll have to settle for the recent snowfall on the distance hills.


    I can't recall the last time I had even purchased a tree which has been trucked in from some “tree farm” let alone go and cut one down. Our “home” being a 47 ft sailboat doesn't allow for the traditional 6 ft Christmas tree.
Armed with saw, clippers and camera we head out to get our tree. Mike takes the lead as he remembers seeing some smaller pines in a clearing not too far away.
During our walks through the woods we had somewhat kept an eye out for something which would be suitable but now when we are looking ready to chop one down they don't exactly fit the bill. Too big, too small, not a very nice shape, kinda sparse.
Forty-five minutes later we are still rambling about, our necks now beginning to ache from looking upwards and our eyes straining to seek out that tree which we had come for. We decide to head back, empty handed.

Here we are surrounded by tens, hundreds, thousands of acres of forest and we can't find a single perfect Christmas tree? After lunch I decide to walk along the beach to see what I could find. Everything we came across inland was way too big. I would love to have a twenty foot pine but really how would I reach the top to put the star on. I meander along the beach enjoying the weather , looking for treasures that have washed up as well as sizing up a suitable vessel to hang all my homemade decorations on.
Another nippy cloudless morning and the mission continues. We head off armed with saw, clippers and camera. We’ve traipsed so far from the lodge now that even if we did find a tree it would be quite a chore to drag it back. This is getting ridiculous, so many trees but they are either 80 ft or 3 ft. Where do they keep the standard 6 foot ones? Another hour, another day and I'm beginning to think that my magnificent towering pine may not be found. We head back, empty handed.
Are we not seeing the tree because of the forest?


   Yet another wintery blue sky day, well at least the weather has been absolutely fantastic, if I wasn't so preoccupied with finding this......tree.....than I might have taken the kayak out for a paddle.
   Today is the day. No matter what I will return with a tree.
It's a “Charlie Brown” tree. Go ahead and laugh, I see you smirking so go ahead.
Yes it's a very mournful dispiriting looking little tree. What can I say, we tried. You'd think finding a tree in these boundless acres of wilderness would be a simple task.

Mike was kind enough to be very .......enthusiast ?....in my choice. He didn't even laugh, not until I did, anyways. “It'll look fine once you put some decorations on it.” Truthfully it didn't look this pitiful standing among others. It had the right height, was a size I could easily saw through and the side that I could see appeared to be full and thick. Half a doz clumped so tightly together was very deceiving. Imagine my shock as I dragged my prize out from the clutches of the close knit group and half of my tree remained behind!
No matter which way I turn it, it still looks forlorn. My “salt dough” decorations weigh the branches down to distort it's shape even further. The single string of lights only seem to highlight the gaping hollow spaces.
It may not be what I had envisioned but years from when I say to Mike, ”remember our Charlie Brown tree?” we'll chuckle and instantly recall our Christmas at the "Outpost."

Merry Christmas
Heather & Mike

















































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment