Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Effects of Isolation - Week 27

It's been 209 days now. Just Mike and me.... and the two cats of course and the two deer that are around a lot these days and there is the raccoon. They can be entertaining at times but not so much into conversations. We've had company for a total of 10 days but other than that, it's just the two of us. Good job we get along.The effects of isolation can have a number of different faces, some more noticeable that others

CONVERSATION
Talk your ear off” is an understatement. I pity the poor souls (summer crew) whom we will spend a day or two with before we fly out. Good thing the resort is large and lots of places to hide.

Love to hear more but I really have to go. Ken wants me to count all the trees in the forest before lunch”

Oh just a sec, that's my cell vibrating and I have to take it” (we don't get a signal here)

Was that Ken calling me? Yep that's Ken. Coming Ken, be right there”

Poor Ken, I wonder how he'll manage to escape us.

APPEARANCE
I had a dream. We were walking down the main street in Port Hardy when I noticed
 that Mike was wearing his favourite sweats i.e baggy, ventilated ones, a “crew” t-shirt that had seen better years and his bed-head hair would have scared Medusa.
Looking down at my own feet I see slippers and my favourite plaid flannel jammies. Guess we forgot to get dressed.

Nine months with only each other to look at primping and preening eventually dwindles down to brush your teeth, toss some water on your face....done. Ready for the world. We can go days without getting dressed, not that we walk around the lodge in the buff. You know I hate to be cold, but when we get dressed in the morning it's always into pyjamas for me, sweats for Mike. Not unusual to have a day or 2 or 7 of rain and if there isn't anything major that needs to be taken care of outside, than pyjamas is the dress for the day. It's not like someone is going to drop by unexpected for a coffee and chat.
Once back in the real world Mike and I are going to have to make a effort to comb our hair and put pants on before we venture outside.

TOPICS
There is nothing too small or mundane to get up to look at, discuss or comment about.
Just this morning something sounded different. It was a beaver, as in air plane.
I hear a plane”
So do I”
Grab the camera and out to the deck we go.....in our pyjamas.

"Can't see it yet but can hear it”
Yup, there it is. It's a plane alright”
Wonder what their doing here? Think they might land here?”
Maybe their landing in the other bay.”
Think so? Wonder why they would be landing in the other bay?
Maybe their meeting that fishing boat we keep seeing.”
Think so? Haven't seen the fishing boat in a couple of days, have you?”
Looks like their heading back this way”
Yeah it does, wonder if they can see me waving? Think they can see me waving?”
Looks like their leaving now, yep their gone."
Ohhhhh they are. I wonder where they are headed now? That was nice to see a plane. Haven't seen a plane for months. Do you see the raccoon down there..... on the beach?
I wonder what he's digging for? What do you think he's looking for?

Get the drift?

Till next week,
Heather & Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment