Thursday, March 31, 2011

The Plane, The Plane!....Week 29

I'm jolted out of sleep by the shrill piercing sound of the fire detector as the genny is started and everything electrical comes alive. Doors opening and slamming shut, footsteps outside my door,shuffling up and down (and up and down) the hall, don't belong here.

My bedroom is right beside the kitchen so I can hear the annoying “beep” of the microwave.
The door of the walk in fridge emits a slight sound as the seal is broken and than the click of the big handle as it is shut. I hear these sounds over and over. As I lay in bed, I wonder what's cookin', for although I can hear everything not the slightest smell drifts my way, enticing me to get up. Conversation and laughter is heard from the dining room. I hear water being sprayed on dishes,the rattle of silverware being dropped in the sink. I can tell they now have their work boots on, stomp, stomp, stomp......silence. Time for me to rise and shine, well not so much shine but I do get up. An hour of coffee(s), reading, writing or on the computer, than it's time to do breakfast dishes, make another pot of coffee for the morning break, think about what to make for lunch, dinner and dessert. My days right now are not my own.

It was several weeks ago now that we were told the crew was coming in again to finish up a project that had been started in the fall. The 25th arrived clear and calm so we knew the plane would be coming in. Up early( we had been surprised last time with an early morning email saying they were already in the air) we had everything ready and so the waiting game began.

By 2 o'clock and still no sign of the plane or an email, I packed up the lunch I had waiting just in case they were hungry. We have been here long enough that we know all the regular sounds and anything out of place is noticed instantly. “Do you hear it? That's the plane.” It surprises me everytime, just as I hear the plane, there she is touching down in the bay. It has to be almost overhead before we hear anything. It's 3:30.

An assortment of tool boxes, hoses, pipe and super sized wrenches that are all part of Brian's trade come out of the plane along with my food order. Fresh Produce!! It's been 107 days since the last plane and more than a few weeks since we've had something that hasn't come out of a can or freezer. What to eat first...a crisp apple, juicy orange, sweet melon or a banana?

My warm sunny days of last week are gone. It's turned cool again. The sun is making a feeble attempt to provide any sunshine, barely filtering through the layer of clouds that persist. At least it's not raining which is good news for the guys working outside.

The main mission accomplished on the diesel tanks and still another day to go before the plane is scheduled to return, odd jobs are found and there is always a lot of them to keep everyone busy. A pile of plywood is relocated, a new door hung, a support post is braced and the workbench put back to order with tools all neatly aligned.

Looks like a professional welder will have to be flown in to take care of some major work before the summer season begins. That means a few more days of crew in again..... and here I thought that Mike and I would go through the entire season not seeing anyone.
Tuesday is not a nice day, weather wise. Squalls charge in dashing hopes of the plane, than a batch of blue sky will peek through, lifting spirits. The waiting game begins. 

      We manage to connect around 2:30 and find an email from the airport saying that we can expect the plane around 3. “I hear the plane!” Everybody cock's their head, and listens. Yep, it's the plane! Jackets are grabbed, boots put on and out the door. All their belongings have been brought down to the heli pad ages ago. The pilot picks and chooses items, depending on size and weight, judging what should go where. Buckled in, a switch is flipped and the propeller comes alive. Mike and I are running up the dock as the light rain is turning into a heavy downpour. I look back to see the plane taxi out to the middle of the bay and than within seconds she is pushing water and is airborne.

Till next week,
Heather & Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment