Thursday, March 3, 2011

Stormy Weather....Week 22

I've never been one to whine but I think I may do a bit more of it as it seems to get results.
Two weeks ago now I was lamenting continuously about the ceaseless rain and how the day would dawn grey with the only change being a darker grey as we headed into night.

 It was shortly after I expressed this to you that the skies cleared and for 5 days in a row the sun actually shone in our little bay.



As the nice weather got me thinking about spring, I also began to voice my thoughts on “where are the winter storms?” Anticipating a wild west coast, wave crashing , ocean spray pelting the decks of the lodge and howling wind, kind of storm, it has yet to materialize.
I'm sure the company is pleased that it has been rather calm here as the type of storm I've been waiting for could certainly cause some damage. Getting through a winter without something major going wrong I imagine is high on their wish list.
So I have been whining about this situation. Here we are in February already and spring just around the corner.


Sunday emerged with the colour of the sky matching the sea.
No big swells rolling along the rock face of the island, that we use as a meter of how rough it must be out in the ocean, but slowly we noticed the bay starting to produce small white caps. Unusual in here as we are so tucked in.
Sitting down to have a bite to eat, a light catches my eye. There's a boat out there.....again! What the heck is a fishing vessel doing out here in February? Didn't think commercial boats would be working this coast in the middle of winter. I wonder what they are fishing for?



It wasn't long before we realized why the boat had come in. The wind had picked up. White caps were now forming small waves and the heli pad was a rockin and a rollin.
Wonder what it's blowing out there?” Must be Mike's nautical sense when he replied,“I'd say a good 50 knots for sure.” Not that I would doubt him but I immediately checked out the marine weather report, yup he's right. Winds s 40 to 50 knots. Now this is what I've been waiting for!
As the day progressed the strength of the wind did likewise. Had to be blowing about 60 knots by now. Boy it was howling!!!

I wish I could include a sound bit. This invisible entity would whistle than shriek as it swept in from the open ocean wrapping itself around the lodge. The wall of glass taking this assault full on was vibrating noticeably. Though we couldn't feel any wind coming in through door or window frames the temp dropped several degrees in the lodge. Our heat was literally being blown away.

My day was spent watching the storm from different vantage points. Behind us the sight of the towering trees swaying more than you think would be possible kept us wondering which one would lose it's grip and come down. Rest easy, Ken, no new firewood.....this time.

After several hours I just had to get out there to “feel” the force of the storm.
Putting my boots on in the laundry room I realized that these winds had some strength when the back door blew open. Stepping outside I had to gasp for breath, my eyes instantly starting to tear. Facing the wind head on I was knocked back a step. Camera in hand, shoulders hunched I make my way to the front of the crew shack. Everything still standing where it should be. It's hard to focus as my eyes are streaming and rain is pelting my face.


Fifteen minutes is quite enough to get the “feel” of the storm. Walking back by way of the front boardwalk a good blast sends me stumbling. I'm loving every minute!
Being so tucked into the corner of the bay I don't think we will ever have monster waves crashing ashore but it was a “good” storm.

We went to sleep listening to the wind. A walk about first thing next morning set our minds at ease, all the docks were still there, along with our boat. Good thing.

I wanted the rain to disappear and it did. I wanted to see a half decent west coast storm and it happened.....maybe there is something to “whining?”

You know I've been buying lottery tickets for years now and never win.
whine, whine,whine

Till next week,
Heather & Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment