Thursday, March 3, 2011

How many steps?....Week 20




The half way mark has come and gone. I can't believe that 4 ½ months have slipped by so fast. There are times that I feel I've only just arrived.
Is it everything I thought it would be? Yes, but with a couple of things not expected.......like everything in life.
For a year before we arrived I scrutinized the WCFC website and in particular the entertaining and informative weekly blog written by Ken (our boss). Not a detail was missed as I enlarged pictures of the lodge or surrounding areas whenever they were posted. By the time we arrived I had a good idea of the overall layout but had not judged just how spacious the lodge itself would be.
We all have our own little quirks and one of mine is counting the steps it takes to get from point A to point B. No matter where we are, I count. The marina at which our boat is moored in Port Hardy, I can tell you the number of steps up the dock to the restaurant, laundry room or the grocery store down town.
At our last resort it was 155 steps from the front door of our cabin to the end of the pier. In the cabin itself less than 10 steps could take me from bedroom to bathroom to kitchen to living room. A tiny place but we loved it.





Getting from A to B at the OP involves double digits in almost every case. Bedroom to living room 31 steps, from the coffee pot to where we peruse the internet 22 steps, living room to water cooler 28 steps, living room to closest bathroom 17 steps, counter in kitchen where I spend a lot of time to fridge 16 steps, counter to sink 6 steps, kitchen to freezers downstairs 55 steps. As Mike pointed out, with the size of houses these days very likely everyone is walking a daily marathon right in their own homes.
Why do I find it so engrossing? Maybe because I grew up in a typical house for the times. Roughly 1000 sq.ft with 3 bedrooms and 1 bathroom which was shared among the 5 of us, 4 of us being female. For the better part of the last 23 years my home ( s/v Canadian Freight) has a footprint of 47 ft long and 14 ft wide.


 In my galley (kitchen) no steps are needed. Sink, stove and counter are in front of me depending on which way I turn. Maybe know you can see why having to walk 16 steps from counter to the fridge is something I find mind-boggling.


I had not expected the winter too be so warm, no complaints from me. One would assume that as you head north (being situated in North America) you get colder and being less than 100 miles from the Alaskan border you would anticipate lots of snow.

 Not so. What we do have is lots of rain, ten days in a row now and counting. Haven't seen the sun either, came prepared with bottles of vitaim D.



I had not expected to be without a TV and frankly we have adjusted quite well without it. Not at first I admit but gradually it became less and less an issue. We still “stream” several shows each night and that seems to satisfy. Now in saying all this Mike and I are still working at it and have carried the dish to the top of the 300 ft hill via a 30 ft cliff using ropes and shear fortitude with a bit of fool hardiness throw in.
So other than those few unexpected exceptions everything is as expected.

Till next week,
Heather & Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment