Wednesday, March 9, 2011

A Love Affair

I've written just about everything I love at the Outpost but haven't mentioned the washer and dryer. Usually not an item that warrants love not even a mild affection, but I bet you have a washer and dryer and always have.
Living aboard suits me fine, I like being on the water and able to change my neighbours neighbourhood when the mood strikes, but there is a downside and laundry tops the list. If your lucky the marina will have facilities, all that you'll have to do is schlep everything up the dock.

 I had a waggon, not a red “Flyer” but a heavy duty tough plastic fold-able job with big wheels. It was blue. I think is was a birthday present.
That scenario is if you are lucky, otherwise you now have to go the extra mile, packing it all in the car, cart included, that's why it's fold-able, and drive to the closest cleaning station. More wasted time.


Now we get to my situation, walking.
 First you find the largest backpack that you own, stuff it till the seams start to stretch apart, repeat will smaller one which you will carry in your arms. Load all pockets with quarters, loonies,toonies bounce sheets, bottle of water, maybe some candies, bag of chips, chicken, peanut butter sandwich, book......think that about covers it. On cooler days if I wear my Ecuadorian cap, the one with the ear flaps, I could easily be mistaken for a Sherpa.
Never thought to add that to my list of “previous jobs”, have to keep that one in mind.


During a 4 year period when I was working 60+ hours a week, Mike, considerate man that he is, bought me a washer and dryer. I think it was a birthday present. His reasoning was now I wouldn't have to go out one night a week to enjoy the social life at the local wash, fluff and fold. The washer fit nicely under our bed in the V-berth. This worked out better than I would have ever guessed. By throwing in a load 15 minutes before retiring for the night I would get the benefits of the spin cycle......providing a nice shoulder and neck massage. Would this qualify as multitasking?

Once I didn't do laundry for 2 ½ years. Hallelujah! Who knew from Mexico all the way down to Ecuador that laundromats would be so scarce. What I did find in each little town were several woman who did do laundry. This was a business and to do my part, helping these enterprising hard-working ladies, I would drop off a bag of dirty clothes every week to be washed. What a pleasure to return the following day to find everything clean, folded and doubled bag. Now all I had to do was get it back to the boat... in the dinghy.... through the surf.... dry.
Best service for laundry: Bahia de Caraquez – they would come right to your boat, out in the anchorage and pick up your laundry bag. Still sipping your morning coffee in the cockpit, they would be there bright and early the next day with your clean clothes, maybe some bottled water you ordered or a tank of propane that had been refilled. Sweet.

Back to the present. The laundry room at the OP is on the main floor and it's a treat to toss a few items in and spin the dial. My days as a pack mule are over. ....for now.
It's also very handy to the shower room which is just a few steps down the hall.
Mike has been known to disrobe, tossing everything right into the washer (sure beats the floor) and dart down the hall to shower. To be fair I have also been known to do the “strip and dash.”



No comments:

Post a Comment