Friday, March 4, 2011

At Home In The Kitchen .....Week 24

I was standing in the fridge the other day, asking myself that age old.........
whoa back up. Yes, I did say I was standing in the fridge.

As a fashionista will brag and boast about here fabulous walk-in closet complete with those cute little cubby holes for her bazillion pairs of shoes, I can evoke envy from any foodie when I nonchalantly work into the conversation, my “walk-in” fridge.
Forty sq.ft , 7ft high, lined from floor to ceiling with racks and a constant temp of cold.As I write this Mike mentions that my whole galley on our   boat is the same size.

Just imagine, nothing gets pushed back into the forgotten zone, where tidbits of a dinner that was just so good you couldn't discard or pass on to the dog, turn into something that now you wouldn't even feed to a dog.

You walk in and see everything. No searching through the crisper or emptying an entire shelf to get at the one item that you're sure you put there. No longer do you stand in front of the fridge with the door open staring blankly into the abyss. “I want something to eat but what?” Physically standing inside the fridge hastens this decision, let me tell you, and if you happen to go in with just socks on than the decision making time drops to seconds.


Needing to tidy up the fridge a bit and toss out left overs ( never said there wouldn't be leftovers just that now you can actually see all those little containers as they begin to take on a fuzzy look) I'll grab my coat, put on shoes than call out to Mike, “Honey, I'll be in the fridge if you need me.”
How weird is that?


My kitchen. Reminds me of the kitchen that I grew up in.
When Mike and I arrived at the OP he spent time with Brent to learn the quirks of any of the systems while I went with Toby and Michael (OP chefs) to learn about the equipment in the kitchen. Didn't take long since I was familiar with everything. I felt like I was back at the “Acres.”


My stove on the boat measures 20”w 19”d 30”h. Look at this beauty.
Double ovens (which I have utilized) 6 burners and a grill. Brought back memories of flipping burgers with dad.












This is a can opener. Works like a dream but I don't think it will catch on in your average household.






















It slices, it shreds, it grates and will julienne. Mix it up, chop it up,puree, blend or knead your dough. Will it mix my martini?
I wasn't quite sure what to think when I saw this food processor. Antique, antiquated,relic and out of date all came to mind. I must take back those words.
The Robot Coupe is the work horse of food processors. Think of the time you will save as you effortlessly whirl your way to prepping veggies for 850 people in only 3 hours this is from their website and I can testify that the machine is powerful and only weights 23 lbs!!!

                                                          Making French Fries 101

Select 4 potatoes ( will make 2 big portions) size doesn't matter.
Wash.


Place one at a time in your wall mounted industrial size "chipper".
Firmly bring handle down, forcing potato through grate.


Oops, forgot to say, hold bowl under chipper to catch potato.




Gently place in pot of hot (but not too hot) oil.
Stir to break clumps apart because they always seem to clump together.
DO NOT LEAVE!!







When they get a nice golden brown, scoop into a paper towel lined bowl and toss with salt. (lots)

Serve immediately.
May be accompanied with Heinz ketchup and hamburger or my favorite, fish.
Enjoy!



Till next week,
Heather & Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment